1973 “Bronze Age” Cougar
The Bronze Age Is Here!
If you want a luxury car that’s also a sporty car, you want a Mercury Cougar. And now you can get the cat in Bronze by ordering the special “Bronze Age ” Trim Option. If Bronze isn’t your favorite color, you can select from one of six exterior colors.
Unique Cougars Menu
1967 Hollyberry Red Cougar
1968 Cougar 500
1968 Cougar Calypso Coupe
1969 Cougar Fastback
1969 Cougar Ski-Pac Special
1969 Eliminator Prototype
1969 Kumpf / Kenz & Leslie Special
1969 Rocky Mtn. Life Ins. Cougar
1969½ Golden Cougar
1970 Cougar El Gato
1970 Houndstooth Cougar
1973 "Bronze Age" Cougar
1999-2000 Roush Cougar
Cougar XR7-G Prototype
The Last Cougar Convertible
The Bronze collection includes the Monterey, Montego MX, Cougar and Comet.
“The Bronze Age collection of cars presented in bronze finishes creates a ‘reintroduction’ of 1973 Lincoln-Mercury products to capture the excitement and atmosphere of a new car introduction. You have new merchandise for the Spring selling season … and new opportunities to further increase your earnings. Here’s your Bronze Age collection – four different special promotion packages to help zero in on four different marketing segments.”
Lincoln-Mercury Product News Bulletin dated March 14, 1973
This was a 1973 marketing promotion. Similar in nature to the 1969 Sports Special package, the “Bronze Age Collection” was sold nationally on more than one Mercury model.
Information about the car first appears in the March 1973 Revision pages of the 1973 paint and upholstery book, therefore it was a spring promotion.
Mercury offered Bronze Age packages on the Cougar, Comet, Monterey, and Montego MX. According to the book, the Cougar Bronze Age package was offered on the standard hardtops only.
The Bronze Age Package was priced at $228.92, with 2,227 Bronze Age Cougars produced.
The Bronze Age Cougar has an exclusiveness and styling features that approach the XR-7 distinction.
Mercury Cougar it’s not like anybody else’s car.
Cougar Bronze Age Features
- New Laguno grain Metallic Bronze vinyl roof
- New Saddle Bronze (5T) exterior paint. Or one of the six other exterior paint colors
- New Tan seat facings and bolsters with Metallic Bronze vinyl seat inserts, and tan door trim panels
- Interior Components: Seat upholstery, door trim, headliner, floor covering, package tray, instrument panel and steering wheel are Tan
- Décor Group including deluxe steering wheel, deluxe wheel covers, bright rocker panel molding, and higher level seat and door trim including door assist straps
- Protective bodyside molding
- Front bumper horizontal rub strips
- White sidewall tires
Available Exterior Colors
- 4C Ivy Glamour Met (Extra Cost)
- 4Q Dk Green Met
- 5H Med Brown Met
- 5M Med Copper Met
- 5T Saddle Bronze
- 6C Med Yellow Gold
- 9A White
A publicity photo of a Bronze Age Cougar appears in “Cougar: A Source Book,” edited and annotated by Thomas E Bonsall, 1967 Thru 1976.” See page 118.