1969-70 Cougar Eliminator
The Eliminator package was an option package available for the 1969 and 1970 model years.
The car starts with a standard, non-XR-7 base Cougar (91 Body Series). To this base Cougar, Ford added the Eliminator equipment package.
Eliminator Package Options
- Hi-Back Bucket Seats with comfortweave vinyl
- Unique Camera-case Dash and Instrument Panel, including Tach (8000 rpm for Boss 302), Rally Clock, and Trip Odometer
- Visual Check Warning Lights (includes door ajar & low fuel warning lights)
- Front Chin Spoiler (although part of the Eliminator package, this item was installed at the dealership)
- Blacked-out Grille assembly
- Performance Axle
- Base Drive Train: 351-4v (M-code) engine: Windsor (1969), Cleveland (1970), with dual exhaust. (the 351-4V was required extra cost equipment), 3-speed manual transmission, 3.25 open rear axle or 3.00 with air conditioning.
Introduction of the Cougar
1967-68 Dan Gurney Special
1968 R-Code Option
1969-70 428 Cobra Jet
1969 Sports Special
1971 429 Cobra Jet
6.5 Litre / GT
7.0 Litre GT-E
Automatic Shift Handle
- 1969 was a chrome “T” handle, 3-speed and 4-speed was a woodgrain ball with shift pattern on white background with three Blue stripes through middle of pattern
- 1970 was wood with chrome Running Cat, 4-speed was aluminum Hurst with shift pattern in black.
Body Side Stripes (Body Pin Stripes are deleted)
- 1969: White or Black only
- 1970: Black only
Drag Pack Option
- 3.91 or 4.30 Rear Axle Ratio, included Oil Cooler, heavy duty Battery.
- Available with Boss 302 and 428 Cobra Jet only, 428 Cobra Jet now becomes 428 Super Cobra Jet with Drag Pack Option.
- Air conditioning could not be ordered with the Drag Pack Option.
Eliminator Décor Group (1969 only) (Required extra $)
- Curb Rocker Moldings
- Rimblow steering wheel
- Custom Door Trim (Decor Interior Panels)
- Rear arm rests
- Door-mounted courtesy lights
- Padded Interior Moldings
Engine / Transmission Options
- 1969 390-4v: received either 3-speed, 4-speed, or C-6 automatic.
- 1969-70 428-4v: received either 4-speed manual or C-6 automatic.
- 1969-70 Boss 302: while requiring 4-speed trans and Traction-Lok Rear Axle, both of these items were billed separately. NOTE: All Boss 302’s have rev limiter, and manual choke.
- 1969: White, Bright Blue Metallic, Competition Orange, and Bright Yellow
- 1970: Competition Orange, Competition Blue, Competition Yellow, Competition Green, Competition Gold, Pastel Blue, and Special Order Black
- 1969 painted body color (functional w/428 Ram Air only)
- 1970 painted Satin Black in color (functional w/428 Ram Air only)
- 1969: three colors only: Black (5A), Blue (5B), and White with Black components (EA).
- 1970: Black or White and Blue w/Pastel Blue paint only
Left-hand Remote Control Racing Mirror (Painted body color)
- 1969: right hand mirror not available
- 1970: manual available, painted body color
- The Eliminator could be ordered with any option that was available on the standard Cougar with the following exceptions:
- Wheel opening mouldings were deleted
Options Not Available for the Eliminator
- Two-Tone Paint
- Vinyl Roof
- XR-7 (code 93)
Performance Tire / Handling Group (1969 only) (Required extra $)
- Heavy Duty Springs
- Heavy Duty front Sway Bar
- F70 x 14 belted traction Tires on 6″ rims
Rear Air Foil Wing
- 1969 adjustable, painted body color, also installed at dealership
- 1970 adjustable, painted body color with Eliminator graphics
- 1970 ONLY has trunk prop rod, and spoiler brackets on the underside of trunk lid. These were dealer installed with the spoiler. Prop Rod hole is punched in the quarter extension.
- 3.50 or higher ratio received 31 Spline Axles and Nodular Case
- 4.30 Axle Ratio received the Detroit Locker
- 1969 Styled Steel Wheels: Argent with chrome plain 5″ center hubcap
- 1970 Wheels had Trim Rings and “dog-dish” Hubcaps on 6″ Black rims
- 428 4-speed and Boss 302 cars only received staggered rear shocks
- Boss 302 Engines were ONLY available with the Eliminator option.
- In 1970, all 428’s w/4-speeds received Rev Limiters and Manual Chokes.
- The 1970 Eliminator does not have the Cougar script in front of the rear Side Marker Lights. This is replaced by the Eliminator decal.
Here is a picture of the interior of CCOA# 7915 Leon Bray’s 1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator with the driver’s seat on the right side of the car.