Cougar Station Wagons
The Cougar Station Wagon was only available in 1977 and 1982.
1977 Mercury Cougar Station Wagon “Cougar Villager”
The 1977 Mercury Cougar Station Wagon (also called the “Cougar Villager”) was actually based on the Ford Torino Wagon & Ford Torino Squire / Mercury Montego MX Wagon and Mercury Montego MX Villager wagon.
Some wagons came with the Brougham Package.
The standard engine for the Cougar Station Wagon was the 351 2v. The 400 2v was optional.
1977 Mercury Cougar Villager Station Wagon Statistics
Body Type: 5-door Wagon
Drive: Rear Wheel Drive
Transmission: 3-Speed Automatic
Length: 18 ft. 6 in. | Width: 6 ft. 6 in. | Wheelbase: 9 ft. 8in.
Introduction of the Cougar
1967-68 Dan Gurney Special
1968 R-Code Option
1969-70 428 Cobra Jet
1969 Sports Special
1971 429 Cobra Jet
1971-73 351 Cobra Jet
6.5 Litre / GT
7.0 Litre GT-E
- Luxury (1974-76)
- Luxury (1977-79)
|Engine: V-8 Select-Shift Automatic||351-2V||400-2V|
|Horse Power:||149 hp||168 hp|
|Weight:||4,660 pounds||4,724 pounds|
|Top Speed:||104 mph||108 mph|
|Acceleration: 0- 60 mph||14.4 seconds||13 seconds|
|MPG:||12.7 mpg city / 15.3 mpg hwy||11.5 mpg city / 13.8 mpg hwy|
1977 Mercury Cougar Villager Station Wagon Postcard
1982 Cougar Station Wagon
Practicality of a Wagon, Luxury of a Cougar
For 1982, the Cougar lineup included a new Cougar Wagon. And what a wagon! Start with people. There’s room for six.
Carrying capacity? With the rear seat up, Cougar Wagon has 41.9 cubic feet of cargo space; with the rear seat down, you get about twice the cargo space–73.6 cubic feet.
Cougar Wagon also offers you a special optional two-way liftgate. You can choose to raise the entire liftgate or only flip-up the glass portion–a convenient feature for grocery shopping or stops at the hardware store.
The 1982 Cougar Wagon features all the standard luxuries of the Cougar GS.
On the exterior, bodyside moldings with color-keyed inserts, special striping, the vertical grille, and Cougar hood ornament create a wagon that is truly classic. True to the Cougar level of interior luxury, you get a Flight Bench seat with integral fold-down center armrest, a luxury steering wheel, and rich woodtone accents. The flat cargo floor is fully carpeted, and there’s a lockable stowage compartment.
And there are special wagon options. Most notable is the stylish Villager option with woodtone accents on the sides and liftgate; a bright luggage rack with woodtone inserts provides adiitional cargo carrying capacity and luxury.
The new Cougar Wagon. Combining carrying capacity and luxury.
Standard Functional Features
- Dual rectangular halogen headlamps
- 3.3 liter I-6 engine
- Select-Shift automatic transmission with locking torque converter
- Power brakes
- Rack-and-pinion steering
- Standard axle ratio, 2.73:1
- P175/75 R14 BSW steel-belted tires
- Economy spare tire
- Hybrid MacPherson strut front suspension; four-bar link coil spring rear suspension
- Front stabilizer bar
- Inside hood release
- Fluidic windshield washer
- Steel bumpers with black rubber end caps
- Side-fill fuel tank (16-gallon capacity)
- Dual braking system
- Brake failure warning light
- Deluxe sound insualtion package
- Viscous drive fan
- Dual-note horn
Standard Interior Features
- AM radio (may be deleted for credit)
- Cloth Flight Bench seat
- Color-keyed seat belts with tension reliever
- 18-ounce cut-pile carpeting
- Woodtone instument panel appliqué
- Rear seat ashtray
- Cigarette lighter
- Glove box lock
- Woodtone steering wheel
- Steering-column-mounted controls for wiper/washer, high/low headlamp beam, horn, and turn signals
- Day/night mirror
- Cut-and-score cloth headlining
- Burloom luggage compartment mat
- Front and rear door trim panels with upper woodtone appliqués and lower carpeting
- Right-hand visor vanity mirror (non-illuminated)
- Carpeted package tray
Standard Exterior Features
- Bright grille
- Full-width wraparound taillamps
- Left-hand remote-control sail-mounted mirror
- Lower bodyside moulding with color-keyed vinyl insert
- Front bumper guards
- GS badge on front fender
- Rear bumper sight shield
- Hood and bodyside accent stripes
- Cougar hood ornament
- Bright belt, drip rail, rear window, windshield, door, and window frame moldings
- Deluxe wheel covers
Includes all standard Cougar GS sedan features, plus these additioanl and/or differences:
- Liftgate open warning light
- Cargo area light
- Tinted liftgate glass
- Carpeting on load floor and back of second seat, and liftgate
- Lockable stowage compartment
- Bright liftgate lower edge and taillamp molding
- Standard axle ratio, 3.08:1
Includes all standard Cougar GS sedan features, plus these additions and/or deletions:
- Medium Rosewood woodtone on bodyside and liftgate
- Bright surrond rails with Medium Rosewood woodtone inserts
- Rosewood woodtone narrow protective bodyside molding
- Villager script on liftgate
- Delete GS badge, bodyside molding, and hood and bodyside accent stripes
The 1982 Cougar Station Wagon would be the second and final year for Cougar Wagons.
The 1982 Cougar Station Wagon GS package focused more on luxury.
1982 Cougar Wagon Specification
- Production: September 1981 to October 1982
- Class: Mid-Size Luxury / Executive
- Body Style: Station Wagon
- Doors: 5
- Drive: Rear-Wheel Drive
- Length: 16 ft. 4 in.
- Width: 5 ft. 9 in.
- Height: 4 ft. 5 in.
- Wheelbase: 8 ft. 8 in.
- Passenger Volume: 93.7 cu. ft.
- MPG: City – 13.4 / Highway – 16.1
- Weight: 3,115 pounds
If you own one of these unique Cougars and have not registered it yet, please send your contact information along with the VIN and data plate information of the Cougar, other documentation you have, and pictures to the address or email below so it can be accounted for.
If you happen to spot a Cat wagon on the prowl and are able to catch it or see one in “Cougar Heaven”, please send the data plate information to this address or email.
c/o CCOA Cougar Station Wagon Registry
1419 Tierra Calle